My first White Water Rafting in Cagayan de Oro
Extreme Adventure : White Water Rafting in Cagayan de Oro (Updated 2016)
I had been planning to go to Cagayan de Oro for the White Water Rafting adventure, but we can’t push because each time we’re about to go, because some important things would just pop up. When the People Management Association of the Philippines announced that Cagayan de Oro will be the venue for our national conference , I was so excited. Finally, I can go!!! I have all the reasons to go…
The last time I visited Cagayan de Oro was about 15 years ago…outdoor adventures weren’t set yet …and the landscape of the province was quite different.
While I was attending the conference and was preparing for our extreme adventure, another problem came up. There were only two of us willing to try the white water rafting and the minimum number required was six. And to top it all, I forgot to bring any gear with me. I didn’t even bring rash guard, no sun block, no swimming gears. All that I have were my business suits.
Despite these, we still contacted the service provider. Fortunately, there was a group of 15 pax from Manila who will be going for the adventure and we can go with them. The jump off point of the white water rafting can be reached at approx 1 hr travel by jeepney. We were told not to bring too many valuables.
For our group, 3 water inflatable rafts were prepared. 2 big rafts which can accommodate 6 people plus 2 river guides and the small raft which can accommodate 4-5 persons plus a river guide. We were assigned to the small raft. The river used for the white water rafting was the river which divides Bukidnon from Cagayan de Oro — called as Cagayan River simply because the end portion reaches Cagayan de Oro. When you are facing downstream, your right side is Bukidnon while the left side is Cagayan de Oro. When doing the an extreme adventure such as this, it is necessary to remember directions so that when an emergency would happen one would easily recall where the left and the right side is located.
There were 5 courses offered in White Water Rafting. We opted for a beginner’s course simply because of the time element. My friend Emmylou is flying back to Cebu late afternoon of the same date.
Before the actual white water rafting adventure, we were given orientation on the basic commands used by the river guide. It was nice to see also, some folks selling items for the tourist such as water, souvenir items and protective gears such as arms band, etc. They were not selling sun block, though…I was offered an armband but I refused. To my mind, I have plenty of those at home, things I used for biking.
Finally, we are ready to go…without sun block, no rash guard…just drinking water. Taking the smaller raft made the adventure even more exciting from beginning to end. The reason for this was, if you are taking the big raft, the weight of a large number of passengers will make the raft more stable. While the smaller one was quite light in weight and we are easily moved by rapids. Another factor which made our adventure enjoyable was our river guide, Ricky Magno who has been doing his job for 14 years already. His humor and antics made us laugh all the time.
Finally, our adventure ended. But it seemed that time – the three-hour journey was still not enough for most of us….we wanted more of that adventure.
What to bring when going a white water rafting:
- a bottle of drinking water just makes sure not to throw your empty plastic in the river
- Rash guard, or armband
- Sun block
- Waterproof camera (you can just buy the CD with all your pictures taken by the company for 250/CD)
- Energy bar to munch after the trip, though there is a restaurant at the final destination)
Rates: (subject to change without prior notice)
ECO EXTREME RAFTING ADVENTURE
- Beginners-PhP 700/head(class2-3 rapids, 3 hours actual river run, minimum of 6 pax)
- Advance 1-PhP 1,000/head( class 3-4 rapids,4-5 actual river run, minimum 6 pax) -Advance 2-PhP 1,500/head (class3-4 rapids,4-5 actual river run, minimum 6 pax)
- Extreme PhP 2,000/head (adventure for the brave heart, adrenaline test, and body work out, requires previous rafting experience, ability to swim is highly recommended, class 4 rapids, 5 hours actual river run.
- All packages include: Free transportation, safety gears, and certified river guide
- For information, call: (088) 851-1287, (0917) 723-8464
Other company offering white water rafting is:
GREAT WHITE WATER TOURS (088)851-78-56 (0917) 851-7856, 851-1287
- Basic Course:MAMBUAYA to CABULA which takes 3-4 hours & will pass 14 rapids ranging from class 2-3
(with snack & meal = P900.00, without snack & meal = P700.00)
- Advanced Course: UGUIBAN to CABULA which takes 4-5 hours & will pass 21 rapids ranging from class 2-4( with snack & meal = P1,200.00, without snack & meal = P1,000.00)
- Raft + Zip: Basic & Advanced Course Raft + Zip Packages (Dahilayan) with Snack & Meal
(Basic Course = P1,699.00, Advanced Course = P1,999.00)
CAGAYAN DE ORO SERIES:
PART 2- LIST OF HOTELS IN CAGAYAN DE ORO
PART 5- CAGAYAN DE ORO’S NIGHT CAFE