ILOCOS, VIGAN, PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 16: KAPURPURAWAN ROCK FORMATION
Right after Cape Bojeador we went straight to Kapupurawan Rock Formation. The Kapurpurawan Rock Formation in Burgos is located between two popular tourist destinations: the Cape Bojeador lighthouse and the Bangui windmills.
The Kapurpurawan rock formation is standing on the rocky coast of Burgos. Burgos is located on the northwestern tip of Ilocos Norte. The place is known for its creamy white and unique limestone formations, which have been sculpted by different oceanic and weather forces.
That was around 11 AM when we arrived at Kapurpurawan. Sunlight was on its peak, that’s why when you plan to visit don’t forget to bring along with you a bottle of water and don’t forget to wear your sunblock and sun visor too.
Upon reaching the jump off area, we waited for a while before we hike down a cemented path leading to the open field.
Along the way, we pass through some thorny bushes which gave shades while walking. Then a few minutes after… viola, the vast South China Sea now known as the West Philippine. From afar, Kapurpurawan Rock can already be seen. Few minutes of hiking passing through coastal rocks, pools of seawater and bonsai-like mangroves, a scenic view of this unique site become more alluring.
A sculpture that depicts the Biag ni Lam-ang (Life of Lam-ang), an Ilocano epic can be found on your way to the rock formation. I was quite amazed seeing a formal toilet constructed for the tourist visiting the place.
Then we finally get to its base, the splendor of the whole place immediately captivated us. The view it gives from, where we stood, was truly spectacular.
The beauty of having a tour guide when in a tour is the “story telling” part which makes any trip more meaningful. According to our guide, Kapurpurawan is an Ilocano word that means kaputi-putian (whiteness) in Tagalog. Kapurpurawan Rock Formation is known for its distinctive white limestone formation in the coast of Burgos, Ilocos Norte. He added that these rock formations become even whiter during the months of April and May. The Rock Formation is a work of art made by the forces of nature. The strong wind, sedimentation, and weathering shaped this grand scenery. I also noticed that one side of the rock formation is soft and has a chalk-like texture.
HOW TO GET THERE:
Entry point via plane to Ilocos Region is through Laoag in Ilocos Norte. Kapurpurawan Rock Formation is 45 km north of Laoag and 10 kilometers after Cape Bojeador.
By Car (Private Transport)
Travel time from Manila to Laoag is 12 hours. That is if you won’t consider stopovers. From NLEX, exit to SCTEX then head north to Tarlac Exit, the last exit of SCTEX. From Tarlac Exit, turn left to Sta. Rosa Tarlac Road. Turn right on MacArthur Highway.
Follow this highway northward passing through the Tarlac towns of Gerona and Paniqui and through the towns of Pangasinan (Urdaneta, Binalonan, Pozzorubio, Sison, and Rosario).
When you reach Rosario in Pangasinan, watch out for the major fork on the road. The right road of the fork will lead you to Baguio. Take the left road going to further Pangasinan towns and Ilocos (this is still MacArthur Highway). From there you will pass by the Pangasinan towns of Sto. Tomas, Agoo, Bauang, San Fernando City, Candon, and Narvacan.
Before reaching Laoag, you will pass by the cities and towns of Ilocos Sur (Vigan, Cabugao, Batac) and finally Laoag. Kapurpurawan Rock Formation in Burgos is 45 km north of Laoag and 10 kilometers after Cape Bojeador.
By Bus (Public Transport)
- Partas Bus Pasay Terminal: (+63 2) 852 – 8194
- Partas Bus Cubao Terminal: (+63 2) 727 – 8278
- Dominion Bus: (+63 2) 741 – 4146 ; (+63 2) 727 – 2350 ; (+63 2) 731 – 4780
Read our next stop…
Read the rest of our trip by clicking the links below:
- ILOCOS, VIGAN, PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 1 : DIY ITINERARY
- ILOCOS, VIGAN, PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 2 : FURNITURE EXHIBIT, GOING TO ILOCOS
- ILOCOS, VIGAN, PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 3 : OUR TOUR GUIDE ,PAOAY SAND DUNES, 4×4,SAND BOARDING
- ILOCOS, VIGAN, PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 4: MALACANANG OF THE NORTH
- ILOCOS, VIGAN, PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 5 : BATAC ILOCOS, EMPANADA, MARCOS MUSEUM AND MAUSULEUM
- ILOCOS, VIGAN, PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 6 :TINOBONG, BANTAY CHURCH
- ILOCOS, VIGAN, PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 7:BALUARTE
- ILOCOS, VIGAN , PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 8: SECRET GARDEN AND PAGBURNAYAN
- ILOCOS, VIGAN, PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 9 : CALLE CRISOLOGO; VIGAN DANCING FOUNTAIN
- ILOCOS, VIGAN, PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 10: CRISOLOGO MUSEUM AND SEQUIA MANSION
- ILOCOS, VIGAN, PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 11: JUAN LUNA SHRINE
- ILOCOS, VIGAN, PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 12: PAOAY CHURCH
- ILOCOS, VIGAN , PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 13: ILOCOS MUSEUM,ST. WILLIAM CTAHEDRAL, SINKING BELL, HOTEL
- ILOCOS, VIGAN , PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 14:BISCOCHO, SALT MAKING
- ILOCOS, VIGAN, PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 15 :CAPE BOJEADOR
- ILOCOS, VIGAN, PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 16: KAPURPURAWAN ROCK FORMATION
- ILOCOS, VIGAN, PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 17 : BANGUI WINDMILL
- ILOCOS, VIGAN, PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 18 :KABIGAN FALLS
- ILOCOS, VIGAN, PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 19:PATAPAT VIADUCT,PARAISO NI ANTON
- ILOCOS, VIGAN, PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 20 : BLUE LAGOON, ZIPLINE
- ILOCOS, VIGAN, PAGUDPUD TRIP PART 21:LAST DAY IN ILOCOS, BACK TO MANILA