THE 30TH KADAYAWAN SA DABAW FESTIVAL SCHEDULE
It’s Kadayawan sa Dabaw once again! This world renowned festival is a week-long celebration for a good harvest. Derived from an old term “Madayaw” which means a warm and friendly greeting. “Madayaw” is also used to explain a thing that is valuable, superior, beautiful, good, or profitable. “Kadayawan” in Mandaya means anything that brings fortune, a celebration of life, a thanksgiving for the gifts of nature, the wealth of culture, the bounties of harvest and serenity of living.
In the olden times, ethnic tribes around Mt. Apo usually gathered during the harvest-time when they had a bountiful harvest to give thanks to their gods particularly the all-powerful Bathala (supreme God). According to legend, the occasion is marked by fun, singing, and dancing, as well as offerings to their divine protectors.
The must experience Kadayawan Festival is celebrated every month of August with floats of fresh flowers and fruits, and one of the main highlight which is the Indak-indak sa Kadalanan or street dancing with dancers in colorful costumes. A variety of tribes parades the streets with their tribal costumes and jewelry.During the festival, streets in Davao are adorned with local fruit & vegetables.
For those planning to witness the festival, it’s a must that you should book your hotel ahead of time. Here’s the list of Hotels and Places to stay when in Davao (please click the link below):
For those who would want to maximize their trip in this King City of the South, I have also outlined a list of activities that will make your visit in Davao truly a happy trip (please click the link below):
Samal Island is another must see place when visiting Davao City.The Island is just a few minutes away from the mainland Davao. Below are the List of Resorts and must do activities when in Samal Island.
I have outlined below the schedule of activities for the 30th Kadayawan sa Dabaw courtesy of Davao City tourism Office.
30th Kadayawan sa Dabaw Festival Schedule (as of June 1)
- 4:30pm-5:30 pm, Rizal park – Ecumenical Mass
- 6:00pm-8:30 pm, San Pedro St. – Pagbukas: Opening of the 30th Kadayawan sa Dabaw Festival
- 8:00pm-12mn,San Pedro St. – Yugyugan: Kadayawan Opening EDM
- 8:00AM-5:00 pm, Davao Recreation Center- Sayaw Mindanao-Preliminary
- 6:00pm-12:00mn, San Pedro St. -Tunog Mindanao
- 6:00PM-10:00 PM, Davao Recreation Center Sayaw Mindanao Finals
- 8:00am-5:00 pm, People’s Park Lumadnong Dula:Davao Tribal Sports
- 6:00am-12mn,San Pedro St. Yugyugan:Kadayawan EDM
- 7:00am-9:00 am, Tionko Field Davao River festival
- 9:00am-12:00pm,Tionko Field Panagtagpo
- 2:00pm-5:00pm,Rizal Park Lumadnong Bantawan
- 6:00pm-10:00 pm, Davao Recreation Center Hiyas sa Kadayawan
- 8:00am-5:00pm,Roxas Avenue to San Pedro St. Indak-Indak sa Kadalanan
- 8:00pm-12:00 pm, Magsaysay Ave to San Pedro St. Pamulak Kadayawan
- 5:00pm-12:00pm,San Pedro St. Pahalipay sa Kadayawan
FOR MORE INFORMATION
City Tourism Operations Office
Rm 20, 2/F City Hall, Davao City
Tel. Nos. (82)222.1956 /TelFax (82) 222.1957
Kadayawan sa Davao Foundation, Inc.
No. 6 Penaloza Bldg., Villa Abrille St., Davao City
Tel. Nos. (82)224.6319